Responsible off-road and dualsport riders striving to promote, preserve and enjoy riding in Oregon - your statewide sanctioning organization since 1972.


What's Up With Legal Off-road Riding In Oregon?

Confused about the Class III (Motorcycle) sticker requirements for ORV's in Oregon? DMV giving you the run around? Well, here is the straight scoop!

NOTE: For you riders out of state, you are required to have an Oregon OHV Sticker, UNLESS you have an OHV sticker from your own state on your bike.  Also, new (and questionably safe?) requirement at Oregon Dunes that all bikes must have a flag, like quad riders.

Click here for all the info from Oregon State Parks

Some Q&A's about riding requirements in Oregon

News Release: December 27, 1995

Class III (Off-Road motorcycles) ATV REQUIREMENTS CHANGES

As of September 9, 1995, House Bill 2756 has changed the requirements for Class III ATV's (Off-Road Motorcycles). Off Road and dual sport motorcycles will now need a Class III ATV operating permit to operate in designated Off-Highway riding areas in Oregon including the Tillamook State Forest (i.e. Any state lands).

House Bill 2756 eliminates the titling requirements for Off-Road motorcycles and requires riders to obtain a permit instead. Dual sport motorcycles also must obtain a Class III ATV operating permit to ride off road and they must still register their vehicles as street legal motorcycles. Stickers are NOT available from DMV.  Contact your friendly MC dealer for stickers.

The requirements for Class III ATV riders under the age of 16 have also changed. Riders ages 7-11 must have an operators permit and be accompanied by someone at least 18 years old who has a valid drivers license or operating permit. Riders ages 12 and up must have one of the following: A valid drivers license, an operators permit, or be accompanied by someone at least 18 years old who has a valid drivers license or operating permit. The following table outlines the new requirements by age group:

Age Group



Must have an operators permit and be accompanied by someone at least 18 years old who has a valid drivers license or operating permit.

12 and up

Must have the following: A valid drivers license an operators permit: or be accompanied by someone at least 18 years old who has a valid drivers license or operating permit

To obtain an operators permit riders 7-11 and 12 and up need to take a Class III safety course.  Upon Completion of the safety course participants will be issued a Class III operators permit.

House Bill 2759 states that a person may not operate a Class I or Class III ATV while having a suspended or revoked license under any circumstances.

News release prepared by Clyde Zeller, Tillamook District Recreation Coordinator, Oregon Department of Forestry

No doubt you've heard that same question within the last few months, if you ride in Oregon, or you've wondered it yourself. Earlier in 1995, a few laws were added and changed that affect Off-Highway Vehicle use in the state. After those changes, the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles sent out a letter to all registered owners of Class III (motorcycles) vehicles to inform them of the changes.

That's when the problems started. Absolutely no one understood what the letter said and most people read it completely different than what it was supposed to say. Even the DMV wasn't quite sure what it said. Dealers were claiming that you don't need a title with your new bike and that you didn't have to buy an ORV tag. Rumors of large fines for tagless OHVs were running rampant. So I called the DMV Customer Support line at (503)945-5000 and talked to a friendly lady that really didn't understand what the issues and questions where. Then I made a few last-ditch, inquiring calls to some of our legal watch dogs, namely, Bob Greenstreet in Bend and Arnold Ryland in Coos Bay. Many thanks to them for helping to clear, or at least understand, the problems.

OK, here's the poop. After September 8, 1995 you must buy the new Class III ATV sticker to be legal anywhere on public lands in the state of Oregon. Short and sweet. The fine will be $65 minimum (rumors of $165 Max) and the cost of a new sticker is $7 per bike every two years. The permit must be put on the left-front fork tube.

Titles for your off-highway motorcycle are optional. Bikes without titles will be able to buy (and must have) the new stickers. If you have a titled and registered street machine (dual sport) and NEVER ride in the dirt, you do not need the sticker. But if you ride your dual sport bike off-road, you must have one. Basically, this means that the bikes without titles in the past that couldn't get an ATV sticker, now can and must have one. I highly recommend that you continue to title your bikes. If you don't, please let me know what your address is, since I can always use a new bike. I think you get the point.

The intent of this new law was to allow older, untitled motorcycles and dual sport bikes to purchase Class III off-highway stickers, where they couldn't in the past. If we can get an additional 20,000 motorcycles registered, we can generate an additional $1,000,000 in two years. Presently, we are only generating $300,000 in fuel tax transfers annually for motorcycle projects that are badly needed. Many untitled and dual sport bikes use our riding areas and couldn't donate to the fund in the past. .

Still confused? Join the club (in fact, join a motorcycle club anyway!)  . For therapy in the meantime , I suggest you take two aspirin, go down to your friendly MC dealer,  buy your Class III sticker and go for a ride.








Protecting your right to ride!

© OMRA 1998-2009